Snack & Lunch Programs
In Early Childhood classrooms, snacks are provided (covered by a one-time snack fee of $45). A parent-volunteer for each class coordinates snacks, providing an assortment of healthy foods such as fruit, veggies, pretzels, and crackers. To promote independence, children are free to help themselves to snacks and water, serving themselves, pouring water, clearing the table, washing their dish, and at times cleaning up their own spills. When there is a birthday celebration in the classroom, children enjoy a treat of fruit salad (provided by the child's family) and popcorn. If you'd like to help coordinate snack for your child's class, click on and fill out this sign-up form below.
In Elementary classrooms, snacks are also provided, but instead of charging a snack fee, students take turns bringing a snack for their class about once per month. Not a big meal, just enough for everyone to enjoy a small snack. Along with the snack, students prepare a "Snack Report" on an assigned topic, which they present orally to their class. Snack time is also an opportunity to promote health and wellness, and students are encouraged to prepare a healthy snack of fruits and veggies and less of the processed, sugary variety.
Snack reports will be scheduled and posted for the upcoming month starting at the beginning of the school year.
Students staying for lunch (Kindergarten, Elementary, and Pre-Schoolers staying for extended care) need to pack their own lunch or have a lunch ticket to purchase hot lunch (when available).
School Lunch & Hot Lunch is offered on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. All lunches are served with fresh fruit and veggies. Gluten free and vegetarian options offered regularly.
- "School Lunch" refers to meals prepared by students for students. The elementary classes take turns about once per month to prepare a simple meal. They take ownership of the whole process from meal planning to food preparation and cooking, even serving.
- "Hot Lunch" refers to meals prepared by LOL families. This is a favorite parent-volunteer activity and spots to serve lunch tend fill up quickly. Click on and fill out the sign-up form below.
Generally, the lunch schedule is as follows:
- Wednesdays: Pizza (from locally-owned Timothy's Pizzeria, served by office staff)
- Thursdays: Hot Lunch (prepared and served by LOL families - sign up below!)
- Fridays: School Lunch (prepared and served by office staff or elementary classes)
Note for Top of the Hill classes: The elementary class (Ms. Giordano's class) has lunch at Harborside campus Tuesday-Friday. The early childhood class (Ms. Cassalini's class) remains at Top of the Hill, and hot lunch is only offered when there are parent volunteers.
- Regular lunch tickets (blue) are $2.50 each and come in sheets of 12 for $30. Each regular lunch ticket is good for school lunch, hot lunch, or one slice of pizza.
- Premium pizza lunch tickets (pink) are $4.00 each and come in sheets of 12 for $48. Each premium lunch ticket is good for two slices of pizza or one gluten free slice.
Policies: Students are not permitted to share food or bring candy to school. Students need to bring a cloth napkin for lunch to help mark off their space at the table.